The life as a Military Spouse is nothing short of an adventure. Plans are made and plans are changed. As I think about my life as a Mil Spouse there are some things I have come to understand.
1. Not everybody will like you and thats ok.
2. Be yourself…..always.
3. Be kind and honest.
4. Be welcoming.
5. Don’t judge or assume you know someone – the Military world is a small one. You will always meet somebody who somebody else has known and you will have a preconceived idea of what or who that person is – make your own decision.
6. You can’t make everyone happy – just as it is every day, not everybody will want to do something or like the planned idea.
7. Officer spouses want to get to know you just as much as the younger and newer spouses too – time has changed, it’s not the way it was.
8. People don’t always want to go along to Unit / Battalion functions / coffee groups etc but they do want to know that support is available.
9. Do support the Unit / Battalion when you feel up to it and can – not all Units / Battalions support the families as much as others – keep it going.
10. Always have a plan A, plan B and even a plan C.
11. Never rely on dates and timings – things change and can change quickly.
12. There is a lot of paperwork involved in a move and the computerised version does not always update or save correctly.
13. Always move with your eyes and mind open – you just might enjoy it.
14. Two years goes very quickly, particularly if you are loving your posting.
15. It’s easier to be the one saying ‘see you later’ than to be the only one staying.
16. Friends become family.
17. Be flexible.
18. Things will always break or stop working as soon as they leave.
19. Deployments are tough but you can do it.
20. Homecomings can be tough, but you can do it too.
21. Surround yourself with good people, experience new things, take on a new hobby.
22. Keep a journal during deployments and other absences.
23. Sometimes, no expectation are the only way – this way, nobody is disappointed.
24. Most importantly, stay true to yourself.
Leave a comment below and let me know what you have learnt as a Mil Spouse. There are many more lessons, tid bits I have learnt about Miltary spouse life but I know that you don’t have all day to read along;)